Sunday, December 14, 2008

Doing more with less

That's what we usually do in the military, more with less. But now we have reached an all time BS level in recruiting. Last year, our state was #1 in Guard recruiting in 5 of 6 categories. We rocked!! But when you succeed, you pay the price. They expect even more this FY.

Our mission has increased 26% over last year, that about 350 more recruits. But our budget has gotten cut by 47%. Now I am not saying it cannot be done, but dammit, when they take away half of our assistants (drivers, runners) and reduce marketing budget (less events, print ads etc), they expect us to increase numbers. If I have to spend more time prospecting instead of processing recruits, I am wasting valuable time. Processing recruits nowadays takes a long time. Getting background checks, gathering documents they lost, getting transcripts etc. Its can be time consuming, especially if they need waivers. All four of my current recruits need some type of waiver. Two for traffic tickets and 2 for minor law violations.

We already have issues for finding jobs, they are all taken. I have plenty of fuelers, cooks and truck drivers, but if they want almost anything else, It is hard to find a position. When we recruit, we fill positions within the state, not just any old job you want, like in the Active Army. They can get any job they want, they just keep saying they wont join until they get it. If qualified, they usually get it.

Now I was the top recruiter in my area last year, by one enlistment, so the pressure is on for me to perform again. While I did over produce, I would like to take more leave this FY. I took 12 days leave last year. I have 65 on the books right now. I need to burn some and take more vacation. It's time I did my job and took care of me.

Do more with less....yes sir, yes sir...three bags full.

1 comment:

SC said...

Wow, I'm so glad those days are behind me. Better you than me brother.