Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Green card Soldiers

Couple of nice tidbits I realized recently. I interviewed a gentleman a couple years ago who immigrated here to the US when he was 11 yrs old. I did not understand his status because he was working but did not have a green card as of yet. He was 31 and wanted to serve in the military since he had been here for 20 years and wanted to "give something back". I was not able to work with him because he lacked a green card, plus I was also thinking he thought he could get his green card if he joined. He was working legally due to his status somehow, I don't understand all the alien statuses, maybe I should work on that.

Anyways, two years had passed since I met with him and I get a phone call from him. He told me that he now has his green card and he would now like to join. Awesome! So I started processing him to be a mechanic. H e has had a medical stopper that needs to be cleared, but soon he will be a soldier.

What I learned from this is never assume some one's motivations. While I am a staunch supporter of immigration reform to include securing our borders, there are many people that come here in some sort of legal status and most will contribute positively to our society.

Which brings me to my next recruit, Charles. Charles immigrated legally to the US 5 yrs ago from Kenya. he learned English there and graduated high school there. He went through a 5 year process to immigrate here legally with his wife. When he got here he got a GED so he was able to show employers his understanding of the English language. He is 40 yrs old, has 2 young children and now wants to join the military. When I met with him, he said he came across our web site from a search engine as he was researching military information, he did not know the difference between Guard and active, so I told him about both. He has always had an interest in the military and his wife supports him fully. One thing he told me was the isolation he and his African friends felt. They feel they don't get the same information, but granted, its out there, you just need to know how to look. So, like any good recruiter, I asked him if any of his friends would like to look into this, he said off hand he knew of four to five that would probably like this. Immigrant communities are tight knit and usually do not let outsiders in to their peer group, but once you get in and gain their trust, you can reap the benefits (marketing 101) So Charles is testing today and if all goes well, he will be in boots by end of the month, being 40 yrs old, he has extra medical stuff to go through, so it will not be a quick one. MEPS is really slow in that area.

So remember, we do have a number of green card holders in the military that serve honorably to protect our freedoms we are spoiled on and protect their new found freedoms, even though by joining the military, you give up alot of freedoms sort to speak. I even knew a Iranian who actually served in the Iranian military before immigrating to the US legally, I served with him on a mission for a year. Great guy.

So, whenever one deals with an immigrant alien, I stress look past stereotypes and put them in boots. If you them right, they may help you make mission the next couple months without working hard to find them.

Please share any thoughts!!

6 comments:

SFC B said...

Here in AZ we have a number of Sudanese and Iraqi immigrants. I've achieved a good deal of mission success by just going into the stores in the immigrant communities and buying things like, soda. You talk with people, and a lot of immigrants, particulary from north African countries, are very grateful for the opportunity that America has provided for them, and are looking for a way to give back.

Mauser*Girl said...

I don't know a whole lot about immigration, but, as far as I know, there are different types of legal statuses for immigrants.

Green card holders are permanent residents of the US. That means, they're allowed to stay and work here permanently.

Then there is a type of conditional residency permit that hinges on you keeping a job and supporting yourself, for example. I believe that's the type issued to military spouses from other countries as well so that they won't get married to get citizenship and then get divorced right away. I think they have to be married for 2 years before they can become permanent residents.

And then you have temporary residents who are here on a work or student visa and are allowed to work, go to school, etc. but would have to apply separately to become a permanent resident. I think they would need someone, like a business or relative, to sponsor them in order to become permanent residents.

I'm sure I'm missing a ton of stuff but that's a general overview as far as I understand how these things work.

Politics of a Patriot said...

I work a lot with the international military students in my current job. We have a Captain from Nigeria who told me before Christmas that he had sent home pictures of our library and our computer lab to his wife and children, and they did not believe that we had such "amazing things." He and some of the other internationals truly appreciate what we offer them... though I realize this is a different note than those individuals wanting to join the American military.

I have a very important person in my life who is from another country... he immigrated here at the age of 15, knowing no English. At the age of 19, he joined the American military and two deployments to Iraq and countless other deployments, he still proudly serves, is finishing his bachelors this spring, and pursuing a commission. This week, his younger sister left for basic training. Sure, they appreciate the opportunities the military can give to them, but they also are risking their lives for a country that they love because it has given them so much. They risk their lives in defense of a country that they were not born in, so that many who were born here can continue to live in denial of reality. I have to respect that. I cannot blame anyone for wanting the life America can offer.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for blog and the post. Im a veteran from the Iraq war and feel very strongly about the immagrant problem, it is true you have legal and illegal imagrants. I am very much a fan of the legal, they have followed the path to freedom the right way. then there is the illegal and they can and should leave, and we need to do something about them. I actaully am a owner of a mortgage company and my website is http://www.vareficenter.com we help all veterans with refinancing and streamlining there homes. I have learned that this is one way to make sure that we have only legal immagrant in homes

Kissiffer said...

Hi there,

I am also a green card holder and just wanted to say that reading your post made me smile. I moved here from London 7 years ago and feel very much part of the USA and at some stage I would like to give something back. As of now, I am concentrating on running the New York marathon in November!

Wish me luck!

RunThe5.com

Apply Green Card said...

Get a U.S. Green card online.Greencards may be attained through a Family Member, Employment based green card, Investor, Refugee or Asylum.Learn how.